Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My first finished quilt





This was my first fully completed quilt.  I think I finished it in 1998 or there abouts.  I had tried quilting several times without a lot of luck.  Blocks weren't squared, my 1/4" seams were gone, etc.  This really frustrated me because I had been a seamstress for so many years!  At a quilting and sewing expo in Puyallup, WA, I wandered into a booth where a lady was sewing on paper.  Of all the things!  This completely fascinated me.  She let me try and before I knew it --- I had a block!!!  I was hooked.  I bought this pattern and a few others, took them home and used my scraps to start piecing.  And wouldn't you know it, I suddenly understood the mechanics, if you will, of quilting.  Shortly there after I bought several software packages just for paper piecing.  I still love to paper piece.

This is still one of my favorite quilts.  First of all, I love Mary Engelbreit designs so this always brightens my day.  Secondly, it represents my overcoming of an obstacle and an introduction to a new love.  The quilt hung in my office when I was a professor and has been on many cubicle walls.  Sadly, the colors are starting to fade a bit, but I still love it.

It is currently hanging in my very first ever dedicated sewing room!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment